Hello fellow foodies! I hope you all are having a great day and that life is treating you well.❤️ Today, I’m pleased as punch to share one of my recipe contest entries. If you are new to my website, I often enter recipe contests (and sometimes even win 🤓). This is my hobby and it keeps my mind active. Everybody needs something to wrap their mind around and for me, it is baking. If I can, I share my ideas here so that others can benefit from my brainstorming. Sometimes, I have to wait until the contest is over to share because the contest rules specify that the recipe must be previously unpublished.
But, I am in luck because this contest didn’t have that specification so I get to share with my favorite internet people now instead of later. This recipe is super fun and makes you look fancy.😉 LOL You only need a handful of ingredients but the end product is super tasty! I combined puff pastry with cheesecake and sweet dark cherries to create a twisted pastry that is suitable for breakfast or dessert. They look pretty and with a dusting of powdered sugar, they are hard to resist. The good news is that this recipe makes quite a few pastries so you don’t have to squirrel them away in a private stash. You can share with all your loved ones. You could even take some to the neighbors. They will love you for it! Who knows, you may even be voted president of your homeowners association.
Have fun baking!
p.s. if you want to vote for this recipe, go to Instructables.
2-17 ounce package of puff pastry thawed for 30 minutes (with 2 sheets each)
8 ounce package cream cheese
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
12 ounce package frozen dark sweet cherries pitted
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line 2 cookies sheets with a non-stick baking mat or parchment paper.
3. In the bowl of stand mixer, add cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until combined. There may be a few lumps; that’s okay.
4. Place cherries in a food processor. Pulse to chop into pea-sized pieces.
5. Lay out one sheet of puff pastry on a cutting board.
6. Spread 1/2 of cream cheese mixture on puff pastry with a spatula.
7. Add 1/2 of chopped cherries onto the cream cheese layer.
8. Top with second puff pastry sheet to make a “sandwich”.
9. Use a pizza cutter to slice 1/2 inch wide strips of pastry. You should get 8-9 per “sandwich”.
10. Twist the strips and place on lined cookie sheets.
11. Repeat steps 5-10.
12. Place cookie sheets on the middles rack of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar. Serve and enjoy!