Happy Friday, fellow foodies! It’s a cold, rainy day in Texas and it’s perfect for some homemade comfort food. There are all kinds of comfort food but the definition states that this type of food is high in sugar or carbohydrates.
For today’s post, I’m sharing a recipe that is the latter. It’s called Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken Piccata and it is absolutely lovely. It is full of flavor and brightens any gloomy day with a bright, rich sauce over browned chicken that is every bit as comforting as macaroni and cheese or chicken fried chicken with a cream gravy.
The dish originates from Italy and was usually served with veal. Chicken has become quite popular in America. I have put my own spin on it by adding garlic two ways, reducing the amount of lemon flavor, and by adding heavy cream. The lemon and the garlic are wonderful together in this dish and there’s enough creamy sauce created to pair the chicken with your favorite pasta.
If you were watching your carb intake, you could omit the pasta and flour and this dish would be easily transformed into a low carb success. That is one of the benefits to adding heavy cream to the sauce (and the fact that it’s awesome).
I hope you will enjoy this recipe. I know I do. It’s a wonderful treasure that can be made over and over and is perfect for a family meal.
4 large chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 pounds in total)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons salted butter
3-4 tablespoons capers
1 teaspoon roasted minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Lemon slices for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. With a sharp knife, slice each chicken breast crosswise.
3. Place each half in a ziplock bag and pound with a rolling pin to flatten.
4. In a large bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
5. Dredge chicken breasts in flour mixture.
6. Set chicken aside for 10 minutes to allow flour mixture to absorb moisture. This will help it stay on the chicken breast in the frying pan.
7. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Brown chicken in batches flipping from side to side to insure even color. Add more olive oil as needed.
8. After browning, place chicken in a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish.
9. Pour chicken broth into the frying pan and heat on medium. Use a spatula to gently remove leftover bits from frying.
Add cream, butter, capers, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Heat for 8-10 minutes.
10. Pour sauce over chicken and place 13 x 9 inch casserole dish on the middle shelve of the oven. You can add lemon slices on top, if desired.
11. Bake for 10 minutes or until no longer pink on the inside of the chicken.
12. Serve over pasta, if desired. Optional garnishes: lemon slices, Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!