Howdy from Texas, fellow foodies! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving and weekend! I traveled yesterday so I had plenty of time to dream up new recipes for my blog. I also had the idea to do the Twelve Days of Christmas Treats. What does that mean? Well, I decided that for the next twelve days, I would post a recipe for a holiday goodie. They won’t be themed like the song (there won’t be any lords leaping in my cookies) but you will have 12 glorious days in a row of holiday baking ideas. I’ll probably gain 12 pounds in the meantime but it will be fun!
Today, is day one so I went to the store and purchased a ton of supplies to have on hand for my upcoming baking. I also found plenty of inspiration to design recipes. Take a look at what I found for sale:
Sometimes, I gain inspiration from the flavor combinations or from the idea of using something new. I never know what I’ll find at the store but I love new products! I’ve been holding on to a bag of dark chocolate and mint morsels waiting for my creative muse to kick in. I didn’t want to make brownies or cookies because that would be too obvious but I wanted try something fun for kids.
I guess today was special because I finally had an idea. For my first day of creating goodies, I decided to make Double Chocolate Mint Krispie Treats. They are like regular Rice Krispie Treats but I used Cocoa Krispies and my lovely bag of Dark Chocolate and Mint Morsels. They were delicious! In addition, they are a great way to start off my 12 days of baking because they came together quickly.
My middle child will go crazy for these! She loves anything minty. She’s still at school right now but I will be picking her up shortly. If you have any trouble locating the Nestlē morsels, (I purchased mine at Walmart) you can also use Andes Mints. Just chop them up a bit before using them.
I’m super excited for the next 11 days; I hope you will find a recipe to brighten your day and wake up your taste buds. Who knows what I’ll come up with!
4 tablespoons butter
8 cups mini marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
12 ounce bag of Nestlē Dark Chocolate and Mint morsels (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
Non- stick cooking spray
1. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, add cereal and morsels (reserve 1/2 cup of morsels). Stir to mix.
3. Melt butter in a large pan on the stovetop over medium heat.
4. Add marshmallows and melt while continuously stirring. Spray spoon with non-stick cooking spray to prevent sticking.
5. Add vanilla to melted marshmallows and stir. Pour mixture into cereal and stir quickly.
6. Spoon mixture into prepared casserole dish. Press flat with back of spoon.
7. Sprinkle remaining morsels on top. Cool and cut into squares to enjoy.