Hey, howdy, and hello! It’s a gorgeous day in Texas (Sunny and 67 degrees Fahrenheit) and it the perfect day for some sunshine and outdoor time. Since the time change, it has been difficult to do because sunset has been at 5:27 pm and I pick up my teenage daughters from school between 4 and 5. In addition, it has been really cold. I know. I know. There are some Northerners reading this and rolling their eyes. I understand. It’s all relative. But, it has been cold for us Texans. We are a fickle bunch when it comes to weather.
But, we are the best kind of people when it comes to our state nut, the pecan. There’s a lot of love there. I use pecans a lot even though they’re pretty pricey. They’re not as pricey as macadamia nuts but they’re up there. I think they’re worth it. I love them in sweet or savory recipes. You haven’t lived until you’ve had maple pecan encrusted chicken. Yummy!
For today’s recipe, I’m combining orange, cranberry, white chocolate, and pecans to create a dessert bar with a shortbread crust. These are the perfect treats for after school or while holiday decorating. Just make sure you buy white chocolate chips and not white baking bits. There’s a huge difference in your final product.
Enjoy your day!
1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
12 ounces white chocolate morsels
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
Extra pecan halves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a stand mixer, add ingredients for crust: butter, powdered sugar, and flour. Mix on low until “pebbles” of dough form.
3. Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes.
4. Remove dish from oven. While crust is hot, sprinkle pecans on top.
5. Sprinkle cranberries on top.
6. Add orange zest.
7. Drop chocolate morsels on top.
8. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk over the whole surface.
9. Return to the middle rack of the oven for 20 more minutes. Cool and cut into bars. Enjoy!