Hey guys! I hope you all are doing great and starting to get in the holiday mood. I know I am. Thanksgiving foods are so wonderful to me and I look forward to them every year. Turkey, pumpkin and pecan pies, green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole are some of my favorites. I cannot get enough of these delightful holiday favorite especially the sweet potato casserole and it seems like this is the only time of year I eat sweet potatoes.
It’s a shame too because sweet potatoes are really good for you. They are full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. As a result, I decided that I wanted to make baked goods flavored like Thanksgiving and to be honest, sweet potato bread sounded better than green bean bread. That reminds me of Jones Soda. Ever heard of it?
Jones Soda came out many years ago and featured all different kinds of holiday sodas that had flavors such as Turkey & Gravy Soda, Mashed Potato Soda, Green Bean Casserole Soda, Cranberry Soda, and Fruitcake Soda. You either loved them or hated them. It was a bit gimmicky but it was fun to try out the different flavors.
Well, for my bread, I played it safe and didn’t take the Jones Soda route paying tribute to ALL of the holiday dishes, just the delicious sweet potato casserole. It was a good decision because this bread was amazing! Baked with butter, brown sugar, sweet potatoes and pecans, it is Thanksgiving in a loaf. Yummy!
It is the perfect way to start off a Thanksgiving morning watching a parade on TV or to have after a long day of Black Friday shopping (I avoid this event at all costs because it’s too chaotic for me but this bread still rocks🤣).
However, you spend the holidays, this is a great recipe to have and make and it doesn’t take a lot of effort. That’s a win-win in my book.
Stay warm and cozy!
3/4 cup butter room temperature
2 cups light brown sugar
2 cups mashed canned sweet potatoes
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar on low speed.
3. Add eggs and sweet potato and mix on low until incorporated.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Add to stand mixer ingredients and mix on low speed until dough pulls away from the sides.
5. Use a spoon to stir in pecans.
6. Spray two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans with non-stick baking spray. Divide bread dough between pans. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 60-65 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Cool and enjoy! Loaves can be frozen and saved for later.
Yield: 2 loaves