Hello fellow foodies! I hope your week is awesome. My week is going great! I have been helping my dad clean, declutter and organize his house. He has a really large house, 4,000 square feet, so I have been getting my workout! It’s great though to see the progress being made and to have that feeling of success and seeing the tidy end result.
I have come home tired but I still had enough energy to make one of my favorite holiday treats, a pumpkin pecan cake roll. When I was younger, I would buy these at the fall craft fairs around my house. They would sell for about $15 and the proceeds typically went to the local high school for fundraising. I always bought two: one to enjoy now and one to freeze for the holidays. To me, these rolls are the best combination of pumpkin pie flavors, pecans, and a cream cheese filling. Yummy!
I always thought they looked a bit complicated but they were always worth the effort. This year, I decided to make my own because I missed the craft fairs because of my upper respiratory infection. I’m feeling much better so making my own cake roll was a triumph. I definitely had to share this recipe with you because it is just soooooo good. You will not regret making this baby!
I hope you have a wonderful week!
3 large eggs
1 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans
8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
1/4 cup butter room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Add eggs to a stand mixer and mix on low until beaten.
3. Add brown sugar and pumpkin and mix on low until incorporated.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Make sure dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
5. Add dry ingredients to stand mixer ingredients and mix on low until combined.
6. On a large jelly roll pan, add a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper. Spray with non-stick baking spray. Use a spatula to spread cake batter evenly in pan. Sprinkle pecans on top.
7. Bake for 13-15 minutes on the middle rack of the oven.
8. Lay out a a kitchen towel and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Remove cake from oven and carefully invert onto towel. The parchment paper should be on top now.
9. Slowly, peel parchment paper off of the cake.
10. Using the towel, roll up cake starting at the end. Roll it tight and allow it to cool on a baking rack.
11. While the cake is cooling, create the filling by beating cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until smooth.
12. Carefully, unroll cake and spread filling inside.
13. Roll cake with filling without the towel and make sure the seam is down on the bottom. Wrap in cling wrap or non-stick foil and refrigerate until cool, about 2 hours.
14. Slice and enjoy!