Good morning, fellow foodies! It has been a busy weekend for my family but I got to go to a new restaurant on Saturday night and I can’t wait to tell you about it. As you may or may not know, I have been exploring British recipes and posting them on my site.
I was fortunate enough to go to From Across the Pond which is a British restaurant here in Texas (DFW area). Besides having British food, it also has a “Tardis” inside the establishment. I love the Dr. Who show and so this was a real treat and photo opportunity.
Their menu was loaded with British foods and each member of my family tried something different. My kids chose items from “way across the pond” such as Lemon Schnitzel and a Chicken Parmesan Sandwich. My husband had Fish and Chips while I had the Shepherds Pie and it was super tasty! It had ground beef with vegetables topped with mashed plans a layer of melted cheese. Yum!
It was such an inspiration that I decided to try it at home so that I could have it again. It turned out great and was huge success with my family. They are still loving my British cooking so I’ll keep on keeping on.
Have a great weekend!
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup sliced carrots
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
6.5 ounce can mushrooms (pieces and stems are fine) drained
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons salt divided
1 teaspoon pepper divided
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 cups peeled and cooked potatoes
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Parsley for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large skillet on medium high heat on the stovetop, add vegetable oil and sauté carrots for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add garlic and beef and sauté until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
4. Return to skillet and add tomatoes (undrained), mushrooms (drained), peas, chicken broth, flour, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and onion powder. Cook on medium high heat until liquid has thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. In the bowl of a mixer, add potatoes, sour cream, butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. mix on low until creamy and smooth.
6. Add meat mixture to a 13 x 9 casserole dish and top with potato mixture. Spread 2 cups of shredded cheese to the top and bake for 25 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired.