Hi fellow foodies! I hope your week is off to a great start! Today, I want to present my recipe for Cracked Buns. They are so yummy and great fresh from the oven. You can melt butter on them or even make a delicious pulled pork sandwich with them.
I’m naming them Cracked Buns due to the large cracks that form during baking. Steam builds up and needs a place to escape and hence, lovely cracks are formed. In addition, there are quite a few leveners in these buns so they really “grow”. I think they look super neat but if you like uniformity, you could slice the tops of the buns with a knife before baking to get a more controlled look.
I love these buns because they are easy (as long as you don’t mind waiting for the dough to rise) and they are super yummy! My husband said that they taste like the ones his grandmother used to make and he liked them so much he skipped the rest of his dinner to have room for these homemade buns. I’ve got to say that I was shocked! He chose bread over meat! What is this world coming to? LOL
Have a great day!
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup warm milk
2 teaspoons yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
3 1/2 cups self rising flour
3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
2 teaspoons salt
1 large egg
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine water, milk, yeast, and sugar. Allow to sit for five minutes to allow the yeast to bloom.
2. Add flour and butter and mix on low for ten minutes.
3. After ten minutes, add salt and mix on low until incorporated.
4. On a floured surface, pour out dough. It will be fairly sticky. Shape into a ball and allow it to rise in a warm space for 4-6 hours or until doubled.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Place dough on a floured surface and cut into 10 equal portions. Roll into balls tucking sides underneath to create a smooth top surface. Place portions 2 inches apart on a non-stick baking mat on a cookie sheet. At this point, you can cut slits (2) across the surface or you can let them crack naturally.
7. Brush dough with an egg that has been beaten. Bake for 25 minutes.
8. Serve and enjoy!