Is there anything better than homemade bread fresh from the oven? It’s soooooo good! Focaccia bread is especially good because it has all of the holes that fill up with delicious olive oil. It’s definitely a weakness for me and I have to give in to it every now and then.
After spending the day at the Fort Worth Zoo chasing my four year old around, I definitely felt like I had earned some homemade focaccia bread. We had a blast but he literally runs everywhere he goes. I am not a runner but I have adapted the best that I can. I have run more in the last two years than the last decade. I did manage to snap some fun pictures and the zoo that I really want to share with you.
Check these out:
I especially like the one of the giraffe with the spread legs; he’s just trying to reach the ground to get some food. Poor guy! I feel the same way when I try to touch my toes! Maybe too much focaccia bread?
Anyway, here’s my version of focaccia bread flavored with delicious Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. It was really great and hit the spot after a long day!
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons active yeast
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning plus 1 teaspoon extra
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add water, sugar, and yeast. Let the yeast bloom for the next five minutes.
2. Add flour, salt, olive oil (1/4 cup), cheese, and seasoning (1/2 tablespoon) and mix on low until dough pulls away from sides and ingredients are mixed.
3. Remove dough and place in a bowl sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or additional olive oil. Cover with a towel and place in a warm location for an hour.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Remove dough and place on a non-stick cookie sheet and press into a large flat and circular shape. Set aside for twenty more minutes for a second rise.
6. Use your fingers to poke holes into dough all the way to the pan. Poke holes every 1/2 to 1 inch apart.
7. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and top with 1 teaspoon more of seasoning.
8. Bake for 20 minutes on the middle rack in the oven. Enjoy!