I want Fall to come early. Every year, about this time, I start thinking about Autumn and everything that goes with it. I love pumpkin spice recipes and they are in over abundance starting this time of year. But, I don’t want to forget the recipes that include other Fall goodies such as pears, pecans, caramel, apples, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes. Mmmmmmm. Just writing that makes makes me want to stay in the kitchen all day coming up with recipes.
Pretty soon, neighbors will start decorating their yards with red and yellow mums and bright orange pumpkins will be placed on porches. Temperatures will slowly drop and I will be the happiest person on the block. I love to see the leaves change colors especially my silver leaf maple that will turn bright yellow. It is such a beauty! It’s about thirty feet tall now and it’s special to me because I planted it myself about 14 years ago.
As I sit here writing about Fall, I realize I have almost completely forgotten to write about my newest recipe, Caramel Pecan Apple Fritter Bread. If I could sum up Autumn in a recipe, this one is it. It has a sweet cinnamon swirl in the middle of a bread loaf flavored with caramel, pecans, and apples. Topped with a sweet drizzle, it is sure to be my new Fall favorite.
Give it a try and see if you love it as much as I do.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups peeled and chopped apples
1/2 cup caramel baking morsels
1/2 cup pecan halves or pieces
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In the bowl of stand mixer, add flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Mix on low until combined.
3. Add eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla. Mix on low until all ingredients are incorporated.
4. Stir in apples, caramel morsels, and pecans.
Note: if you coat the pecans lightly with flour, they won’t sink to the bottom of your loaf.
5. Spray a 9 x 5 inch bread loaf pan with non-stick baking spray. Pour half the the bread mixture into the pan.
6. In a medium bowl, add 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and stir to make the bread swirl. Spread mixture evenly across bread mixture in loaf pan. Top with remaining bread mixture.
7. Place loaf pan on middle rack in the oven. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
8. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then place on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
9. While bread is cooling, mix ingredients (1 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1-2 tablespoons milk) for drizzle in a medium bowl.
Use a spoon to add drizzle to bread. Serve and enjoy!