Today, I noticed a weird smell in my car. You know what your car is supposed to smell like and this scent was far from it. It was very unpleasant and it became stronger each time I got in my car. This has happened before and the last time it did I found a can of refrigerated biscuits that had broken open and started baking in my car with the hot Texas heat. That was actually kind of awesome because my car smelled like buttery biscuits fresh out of the oven. Although, it was kind of gross too because that stuff sticks in the carpet. Yuck!
Upon remembering the great biscuit incident of 2015, I checked the back of my SUV. We had been grocery shopping two days prior and sure enough, there was a package of breakfast sausages behind the seat. Super gross! As a biologist, I have seen some pretty gross things but the smell on this one was worse than nasty. I quickly wrapped it in a bag and discarded it. Problem solved. I rode around with the windows down for a bit and everything was fresh as a flower again.
I am really sensitive to smells. Thankfully, my kitchen always smells heavenly because I am always baking something tasty. Today, I baked these beautiful scones after watching the British tv show Father Brown last night. There’s a character on there who is always making her “award winning strawberry scones”. The whole show is terrific and I love the scenery. It’s about a priest who solves murders with the help of his quirky but lovable sidekicks. There are way too many murders for such a small town but if you can suspend reality for a bit, it’s a fun show.
Anyway, here’s my version of scones that turned out great and brought delicious smells to my home.
Have a great day (and make sure all your groceries make it out of the car. Ha! Ha!).
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh tangerine zest
3/4 cup unsalted butter frozen
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
1 cup powdered sugar
2-2 1/2 tablespoons tangerine juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place a silicone non-stick baking mat on an 11 x 17 baking sheet pan.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and tangerine zest. Run on low until combined.
4. Using a food processor or grater, shred frozen butter.
5. Add butter to flour mixture and mix until combined. You should still be able to see lumps of butter.
6. Add milk, egg, and vanilla. Mix until combined and dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
7. Stir in raspberries being carefully not to crush them.
8. Flour your hands and place dough on a floured surface. Form an 8 inch disk and use a sharp knife to cut 8 slices (like pie slices).
9. Place slices onto silicone non-stick baking mat.
10. Bake on the middle oven rack for 20-25 minutes. Cool ten minutes. Place on cooling rack to finish cooling and to glaze.
11. In a small bowl, add powdered sugar and tangerine juice 1 tablespoon at a time until thick glaze forms after whisking. Drizzle on scones. Allow to dry. Serve and enjoy!