Good morning! We have already started the day off right at my house. I inflated a 10 foot plastic pool in the living room with the intention of taking it in the backyard and filling it with water. Well, it quickly turned into a fort and now it is propped up on my sofa and it is being used as a slide. Do you remember doing stuff like that as a kid? I sure do. A cardboard refrigerator box became a wonderful clubhouse when I was little. My sister and I colored on it and furnished it and probably spent several days hanging out in our super spy shack. It was the best! All kids need these experiences that allow them to be creative and use their imaginations.
As a mom, I’m happy to furnish the pool or refrigerator box and the fuel for the adventures. Today, I created these Sausage and Roasted Pepper Breakfast Rounds to keep energy levels high and help facilitate our summer fun.
They are perfect when you don’t really want to slow down and you just want something grabby and handheld. The taste is great and they have just the right amount of crunch from the pastry. They also can be reheated nicely by popping them into the oven for a few minutes.
I hope your day is filled with adventure!
17 ounce box of puff pastry (2 sheets)
1 pound cooked, crumbled, and drained tube of ground breakfast sausage
1 tablespoon water
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers drained
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cover an 11x 7 inch baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
3. Spread out two sheets of puff pastry on the paper.
4. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water to create an egg wash.
5. Brush egg wash on pastry sheets.
6. Sprinkle cheese all over the pastry sheets.
7. In a medium bowl combine, meat peppers, and parsley.
8. Sprinkle meat mixture over cheese.
9. Grab long edge of puff pastry and begin rolling into a spiral log. Since you have two sheets of pastry, you will do this step twice.
10. Using a sharp knife, cut off 1 inch sections of the rolled puff pastry. Lay these sections flat on the parchment paper so that you can see the spiral on top.
11. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on edges. Serve warm.
Vegetarian option: substitute vegetarian sausage (like Morning Star brand) for breakfast sausage. Thanks blogger ladyfi for bringing this option to my attention. I love versatile recipes! Something for everyone!