Breakfast is a great opportunity to have a delicious meal but too often it is the meal that gets skipped over or given little thought. I love breakfast foods: eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, and pastries. Yum! Of course, there’s more than just that list and a bazillion different recipes for each one.
When I create a new recipe, I try to utilize ingredients in a new way or try to merge two recipes. For today’s post, I thought I should combine two things that I adore, breakfast foods and enchiladas. By doing this, I thought I could create a meal that had the charm of of a sit down dinner with delicious breakfast ingredients. It worked out great!
Everybody stopped to eat breakfast together. It was warm, gooey with melted cheese and super flavorful. It had all the elements of breakfast with a new twist. Anytime you can get your family gathered around the table for a hot meal usually results in quality family time. It doesn’t have to be at dinner; sometimes the best conversations can happen in the morning (as long as everybody brushes their teeth when they get up).
Have a great morning!
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 cups chicken broth
16 ounces breakfast sausage browned and crumbled
6 cooked scrambled eggs
6 large tortillas
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 cup sliced black olives
1/4 cup sliced green onions
Crema Mexicana or sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large frying pan over medium high heat on the stovetop, heat the olive oil.
3. Add flour and stir for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and onion powder. Stir.
5. Slowly add in chicken broth. Cook and and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. This will be your enchilada sauce.
6. Spray a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
7. In each tortilla, add sausage, eggs, and cheese. Roll up tortilla and place in casserole dish. Each tortilla should have about 1/2-2/3 cup of filling.
8. Pour enchilada sauce over rolled tortillas.
9. Top with two cups cheese, olives and green onions.
10. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with Crema Mexicana or sour cream, if desired. Enjoy!