Happy Friday, fellow foodies! I hope your day is off to a great start! This morning I decided that I wanted to make something totally out of the ordinary. Poking around in the cabinet, I located a new bag of corn grits, also known as polenta. Voila! Instant inspiration!
We took our family to Disney World two years ago and at one of their restaurants, the one that has a giant aquarium inside, I had cheesy grits with shrimp and succotash. It was amazing! I have been hooked ever since that meal. I have ordered cheesy grits for lunch and dinner at other places and they never disappoint.
Today’s recipe, however, is for a breakfast meal. Besides cheesy grits, I love meals that are served in bowls. Everything is layered into one dish just waiting for you to stir it up. Today’s recipe incorporates both of those loves into one tasty meal. Grits with melty Gouda cheese are topped with fresh basil, sun-dried tomatoes, bacon, and a fried egg. The combination is a pleasant departure from my typical morning’s meal. It was just what I needed to start the weekend off right.
6 cups water
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 cups grits
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon minced roasted garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup shredded Gouda cheese plus extra for topping
1/4 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Crispy fried bacon
1. In a Dutch oven or large pan, boil 6 cups of water plus salt over medium high heat on the stovetop.
2. Add grits, garlic, and onion powder and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until grits are soft.
3. Add butter and cheese. Stir until cheese has melted.
4. In a very small microwaveable bowl add sun-dried tomatoes and 1/4 cup water. Microwave on high for 45 seconds or until tomatoes are soft.
5. To assemble, place a large spoonful of grits in a bowl, sprinkle with basil, tomatoes, and cheese. Top with bacon and an egg. Enjoy!