Yes, you read that right and no, I have not lost my mind. I put strawberries and sausage into a breakfast muffin and the results were fabulous!
My husband loves to put jams and jellies on sausage sandwiches. He said his grandfather used to do it too. I have been watching him do this for years. Today, something clicked. I thought to myself, I am going to make some savory muffins with strawberry jam in them. I love salty and sweet together and this combination worked great in these breakfast muffins.
I did use a silicon muffin pan and I sprayed it with non-stick spray. You could also use cupcake liners. They came out great without sticking at all. They turned into a quick bite breakfast before we ran out of the house. My husband loved them so much that he asked me if I saved the leftovers. I think he’ll probably sneak into the kitchen later and have seconds or maybe thirds. Ha ha!
1 cup pancake and waffle mix
3/4 cup water
2 cups cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage (mild)
1/2 cup strawberry jam
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray a silicone muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or use cupcake liners in a metal pan.
3. In a medium bowl, combine pancake mix and water. Stir until smooth.
4. Add in sausage, jam, cheese, and garlic powder. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
5. Spoon batter into the wells of the muffin pan. Yield: 8 muffins
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!