Hey fellow foodies! Here’s a fun one for you! Actually, there are two recipes here. Bonus! The color of this appetizer is amazing! I love the way the beets lend their beautiful red hue to this hummus and pita bread recipe. The vibrant red hummus goes perfectly with the pinkish pita bread. As well as an awesome color, this appetizer has a super taste! If you love hummus, you will love this recipe. I used roasted garlic, tahini paste, cumin, and smoked paprika. The flavors blend to create a dip that is perfect for a snack or a fun party food. Served with your very own DIY pink pita bread, it’s sure to be a conversation starter.
15 ounce can of beets (save the liquid)
2 teaspoons fast rise yeast
1 tablespoon olive plus extra for frying
3 teaspoons Kosher salt
3 cups all purpose flour
15 ounce can garbanzo beans drained
3 tablespoons tahini paste
2 teaspoons roasted minced garlic
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
For Pita Bread:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add one cup of beet liquid drained from the can of beets. If you don’t have enough, top off the cup with a little bit of water. Add yeast and wait 5 minutes.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Add 3 cups of all purpose flour and run the mixer on low with the regular paddle attachment for about 3 minutes on the low setting. You want to incorporate the ingredients and form a dough.
4. Remove dough and place on a clean work surface. Knead the dough for 4-5 minutes until it becomes soft.
5. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to coat the outside of the dough and place in a large bowl. Cover and set aside for an hour. The dough should double in size.
6. Cut dough into 6 pieces of dough. Using a rolling pin, roll each piece into a circle with a 6 inch diameter. You can add a little flour to your work surface and rolling pin to reduce sticking.
7. In a large frying pan on medium high heat on the stovetop, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Fry each piece of dough for 30 seconds on each side. Wrap pita bread in a towel until ready to serve.
1. In a food processor, add drained garbanzo beans and beets, tahini paste, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, smoked paprika, ground black pepper, and 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt.
2. Turn the food processor to the slice/shred setting and process for 30 seconds or until all ingredients have been incorporated. You may want to use a spatula to scrape down the sides to make sure the hummus is smooth and without large chunks.
3. You can garnish your hummus with a little olive oil or some parsley flakes. Slice pita bread and serve with hummus. Enjoy!