Cooking with fresh ingredients just makes me happy. Therefore, the farmer’s market is my special place where I purchase a carload of fresh produce. The seasonality of the vendor’s stands is inspirational for someone like me who thrives on creating new recipes. I gain so much from a half day visit. I really would benefit from carrying a notepad with me so I could jot down ideas. My husband always jokes with me and says, ” you know there’s a notes section on your phone”. I’m just a little old fashioned in that aspect; I like a tangible piece of paper that I hold in my hands.
For this recipe, I wanted to use fresh vegetables to create a pasta sauce that was chunky and full of farmer’s market flavors. I used fresh onion, yellow squash, and mushrooms. I used canned tomatoes but would have preferred fresh. Alas, I didn’t have any. However, the sauce was flavorful and thick just like I wanted.
I also paired it with fettuccine instead of the typical spaghetti. I don’t have anything against spaghetti but I wanted a wider noodle to carry this thick and chunky sauce. It worked out perfect! Don’t you love it when a plan comes together? All in all this recipe was a real winner. I was able to add a bunch of fresh veggies and it didn’t take too much effort. And, the whole family loved it!
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 cup sliced yellow squash
8 ounces sliced mushrooms like button
1 tablespoon minced roasted or plain garlic
1 pound mild Italian ground pork
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons dried parsley
28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
12 ounce can tomato paste
12 ounces fettuccine pasta cooked
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a Dutch oven, add olive oil and heat on the stovetop on medium high heat.
3. Add fresh vegetables, garlic, and meat and sauté until meat is no longer pink. Break up meat with spoon as you sauté.
4. Add salt, sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, parsley, tomatoes, and tomato paste stirring after each addition.
5. Place lid on Dutch oven and place on the middle shelf of the oven for 45 minutes. Stir and serve over cooked fettuccine. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes if desired.