Don’t those look yummy? That picture does not lie. These little delights are packed full of goodness. Fresh blueberries coupled with a sweetened cream cheese layer make these treats fun for breakfast or dessert.
To sweeten the deal even more, there are only five ingredients in this recipe. You won’t even need a grocery list for this one. Chances are you already have an egg, cream cheese, and powdered sugar at home. That means that you will only have to get the blueberries and the puff pastry at the store. Now, that’s doable!
Funny story about these, I was gone when my husband got home from work. He is color blind which affects the way he sees things. For instance, it is difficult for him to tell the difference between pink and beige. Usually, he’ll just ask me and I’ll make the distinction for him. Anyway, he saw this on the stovetop while it was cooling off. He calls me on the phone and asks me what was with the olive pizza in the kitchen. I’m sure he was super excited because he loves pizza and here was one unattended just waiting for him to dig in. It took me awhile to figure out that he was talking about this blueberry pastry and to set him straight on the matter. We both had a good chuckle on that one. Turns out that he loved the pastry so much that he didn’t mind the fact that there was no pizza. Maybe tomorrow I’ll make him some homemade pizza. But, what if he thinks it’s another blueberry pastry? LOL
17.3 ounce box of puff pastry with two sheets thawed
4 ounces of full fat cream cheese room temperature
1 large egg
1 cup of powdered sugar plus extra for garnish
8 ounces of fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line an 11 x 7 inch baking sheet with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
3. Lay puff pastry end to end on the baking pan. Seal ends together with a little bit of water to make the pastry stick together.
4. Make two inch cuts every inch down the edges of the pastry as shown in this picture:
5. In a medium bowl, combine egg, cream cheese, and sugar. Use a mixer, if necessary, to get a smooth mixture. A few lumps are okay.
6. Spoon cream cheese mixture down center of pastry. Top with blueberries. Fold edges of pastry towards the center to make a border.
7. Bake for 18 to 23 minutes until edges are puffed and slightly golden. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. Enjoy!