Bam! That needed to happen: a breakfast recipe with circus animal cookies. How perfect for kids of all ages! Needless to say, my kids were very excited when I put this down on the table.
I have always loved circus animal cookies. The colors, the sprinkles, the coating, and the animal crackers all appeal to me. They are whimsy packed into bite sized treats.
What a great way to excite your breakfast routine! If you love these cookies, you will probably love these waffles. It is a fairly traditional batter but when the chopped cookies are thrown in, magic happens!
The coating melts a little in the waffle maker and the candy sprinkles leave dashes of bright colors in the batter. These waffles are perfect for a birthday or just to say, “have a great day”.
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk (2 percent or whole)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
2 cups chopped circus animal cookies (chop into 1/2 inch pieces or smaller)
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
3 drops pink food coloring
Extra circus animal cookies
1. Preheat waffle iron.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Whisk in eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk, butter, and vanilla.
4. Stir in circus animal pieces.
5. Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Place 1/2 to 1 cup of batter in you waffle iron and close to bake. It takes 3 minutes for mine to cook. Waffle irons have different capacities so check with your manufacturer’s instructions for cook times.
6. For the icing, mix powdered sugar, milk, and food coloring in a medium bowl with a whisk.
7. To serve, top waffle with icing, whip cream, a circus animal cookie, and sprinkles. Enjoy!