When I go to the movies, I love to take a bite of popcorn and then a handful of M & M’s. It is something I’ve been doing for years and it’s because salty and sweet together are a magical, mouthwatering combination. If you haven’t tried it, I totally recommend it. Salty and sweet is not a new concept. Think: chicken and waffles, bacon cupcakes, and chocolate coated potato chips. Tasty!
I decided to make some cookies with this magical combination. The popcorn and M & M’s were easy choices. I really had to give thought to the other ingredients. I ended up with Reese’s Pieces, Milk Duds, and honey roasted peanuts because I thought those flavors would play nicely together. One thing I was sure of was that a movie theater pickle would not be included in the recipe. I think it was a good call.
Just remember when you are baking these babies to wait until the last three minutes to add the Milk Duds and the popcorn or else you will get a gooey mess. Trust me, I learned the hard way. (They we’re still yummy though. Lol)
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons corn starch
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
1/4 cup full fat cream cheese room temperature (not whipped)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup M & M’s
2/3 cup Reese’s Pieces
1/2 cup honey roasted peanuts
2/3 cup Milk Duds
1-2 cups butter flavored microwave popcorn already popped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium bowl using a spoon, combine first five dry ingredients.
3. In a stand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese. Add in egg and vanilla and mix.
4. Stir in M& M’s, Reese’s Pieces, and peanuts.
5. Use a non-stick silicon mat or parchment paper to line an 11 x 7 inch baking sheet. Place three tablespoons of batter with two inches in between each. These cookies don’t spread a lot but it’s always good to leave space.
6. Bake for 8 minutes and add popcorn and Milk Duds to the surface of each cookie while gently pressing. Bake for 2-5 minutes more.
7. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy! These are great for a movie themed party or anytime when you need a fun treat!